Sunday, May 22, 2011

20 Questions: HOPIE

In May of 2010 I was treated to an entertaining performance by a refreshing female rapper, then known as Hopie Spitshard.  I've been informed that she recently dropped the "Spitshard" from her name.  I was impressed by how this petit filipino emcee took command of the stage by standing on a chair and refusing to let the audience fall into a zombie standstill, a common occurrence in the Hawaii music scene.  Last month I was offered the opportunity to have a segment dedicated to the young and talented Hopie.  I quickly jumped on the opportunity.  This Bay Area hip-hop artist and recently graduated law student has just released her newest EP, Dulce Vita and it totally kicks ass.  This past April marked her second performance in Hawaii and her popularity is quickly growing here and in the Mainland.  The Diamond Dame and self proclaimed pot-head took time out of her busy schedule to answer my twenty questions.  Hopie is a prime example of Good Habits manifested and trust me, she still spits hard.  


1.  What is your full name?
Hello, my name is Kae Hope Ranoa, aka Hopie.

2.  Where are you from?
I was born in Manila but am from the San Francisco Bay Areaaaaaaaa....

3.  What are a few good habits that you have?
Making the music I love!

4.  When did you first become interested in making music?
I started playing instruments at 5, but I wrote my first rap at 11.  By the time I reached high school all I wanted to do was write songs and perform.

5.  What makes your music unique?
Hopie music is different from other music in that it comes from a fearless place in my heart.  I've cultivated such a unique taste in art that the art I produce is an intricate, hodge-podge blend of all the different things I love.  When I honestly tap into that pool of art is when I make music that really represents me.  Just like every person is unique, my most honest creations are unlike any art from other people.


6.  Who are your favorite artists? (visual or musical)
My favorite artists include, but are not limited to:  Jim Morrison, Gwen Stefani, Aemes, Andre 3000, Del the Funky Homosapien, 6Fingers, Wes Anderson, Alexander McQueen, Santigold and so many more.

7.  Who are you currently listening to on you ipod?
Currently on my ipod is The Weeknd.

8.  Who has influenced your music the most?
(see question 6)

9.  What is your proudest musical achievement?
My proudest musical achievement has to be my latest album, Dulce Vita, because I created it so quickly and without the help of any features, meaning I wrote the entire album on my own.  In the land of the cosign, I had to make an album where I carried the entire project on my own.  Of course, my producer 6Fingers, as well as a new production crew I worked with, called The Regulars, produced the beats, but all the lyrics, singing and rapping, came from my mind and pen.  To hear the result was indescribable.

10.  What are your thoughts on the role of women in music?
Women have such an intricate role in music, I am literally angry that there is so much underlying misogyny in hip hop.  We are the muses, the producers, the rappers, the choreographers, the fans, the audience, the dancers, the singers, the industry, the stylists, the everything, yet we rarely get our just due.  Half the songs you hear are love songs; who are these fools in love with?  Half the world are women; who is in the audience?  We are music and music is us, but my particular genre of music, which I love and have dedicated my life and soul to, treats my gender as secondary, disrespects us and keeps us in self-propelled hate...We need more women in the forefront, more visible women running this shit, and less thirsty women playing with themselves, and the rest of us, out for a couple seconds of shine and some bling.


11.  What are your thoughts on aliens?
Hahaha...switch it up to my thoughts on aliens...well...I feel like our universe is too vast for us to share it by ourselves.  There are beings on other planets, in other realms, in other dimensions and in our lives; but, whether or not they are grey, triangular-headed guys in flying saucers is a giant question mark to me.

12.  What three things would you take to a deserted island?
Three things I would take to a deserted island: a home studio, a pool table and a male companion.  Holla!

13.  Wine or beer?
Beeeeeeeer...mmmmmmmm...

14.  What is your favorite food?
I love all food, all nationalities, all kinds...Can't we all just get along???

15.  What three words would you use to describe yourself?
Three words to describe myself are: Creative, intelligent and adventurous!


16.  Can you describe your past week in one sentence?
My past week was coooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

17.  What are your top 3 favorite movies of all time?
My top 3 favorite movie?! Ok, Ill shoot for 5, but this is not at all comprehensive:  City of God, Anchorman, Battle of Algiers, The Godfather and Kung Fu Panda.

18.  What is your favorite thing about Hawaii?
My favorite part about Hawaii has to be the atmosphere.  The second you land everything moves 80% slower and you're 100% more chill than you were on the plane.  Something about it awakens the island in me and I'm on some true fuck it...I'm an island girl at heart and a pot head at lung, so Hawaii and I are 100.

19.  What are People Saying over your casket?
When I die I want people to be talking about all the art I should have made...Even at 80 I want them to say I wasn't done putting out some brand new-new nobody else could do after I passed.  I want it to forever be before my time...

20.  Shoutouts?
Giant shout out to 6fingers!!  My little team, Snayk Eyez and Mac Drea!!!  And, Hawaii, I miss you and I love you.  Ma-holla UH, 3Rok's Mike & Brent, Creed, Tre, Kluv, Prie, Ill Hill, Prolific Unknowns, Professor Rod & his class, Miss Elyssa, the talented Rudified, Bone, Dan, In4mation, Angry Locals, Broke Mokes, the whole city of Honolulu, the whole island of Oahu and the whole muthafuckin state of Hawaii.  High in HI for life!


Want more Hopie?  Visit her Website: http://www.hopiespitshard.com/site/content/intro



No comments:

Post a Comment